24000 RPM spindle for CNC Mill 2
Yesterday the spindle was wired to the Variable Speed Drive – single to 3 phase converter, and to power. It span smoothly and quietly, and very fast. Much quieter than a woodworking router of similar power and RPM.
Today I hooked up the coolant, after testing the pump. But when I ran the coolant through the spindle, there was no movement of the coolant. So I reversed the fluid connections in case it was direction specific, but still no action.
The pump and lines were OK, so there was a blockage in the spindle.
I removed the coolant connectors on the spindle, and I could see something white and foreign deep in the works. A bit of poking around revealed that it was probably a bit of packaging foam. I dug out some, then blasted the rest out with compressed air. Testing with the compressed air showed that the way was now clear, so I reinserted the supplied fittings.
And one of them snapped level with the surface of the spindle cover. Bugger bugger.
I managed to get the broken buried thread out of the spindle using an “Easy Out”.
The broken fitting looked complex. I certainly did not want to wait for one from China, and I was very doubtful that it would be available locally. I could have made one, but it looked like a half day job.
So I silver soldered it!