Today was humid. But I hardly noticed. I was attacking a piece of 72mm diameter steel rod for the Armstrong 80lb model cannon barrel. Enough of the plastic printed shit. Now for the real material..
It was a piece of an axle. No idea of the exact material. But it is magnetic, turned beautifully. So not stainless.
The roughed blank, and the plastic printed model.
Next problem was to produce the 16mm bore, through 285mm.
None of my 5/8″ (15.87mm) or 16mm drill bits were long enough, so I drilled from both ends. Still have a substantial chunk in the middle. The cutting fluid is my own mixture of olive oil and kerosene. I used to grow and make olive oil and I have quite a bit left over.
The roughed barrel, ready for CNC finishing. And a 16mm drill bit which I turned down to a 10mm shank, and a piece of 5/8″ drill rod/silver steel drilled to 10mm, which I will silver solder to the drill bit to make it adequately long to drill through the whole barrel tomorrow.
The roughed barrel, and the 16mm drill bit ready for silver soldering. Yeah. It is a bit longer than necessary.
Turning cannon barrels is really satisfying. Still considering how to manage the rifling.