Armstrong RML Model cannon. Assembly -1
Not much happens in each workshop session. I am still a bit unsure whether I should only post when some significant progress has occurred, or whether the minute daily progress is enough. Whichever occurs depends on my mood. At the moment I am posting daily progress. If it is just too trivial and boring, well, hang in there. No doubt there will be big significant gaps in the future.
Today I thought about how I would assemble the chassis for the Armstrong cannon. And I decided to do some woodworking.
Wood has an advantage over aluminium or steel. Apart from being cheap, it is slightly compressible. Here, I have accurately machined a block of wood, and by adjusting the tension in the G-cramps, I can adjust the distance between the girders to exactly what I want. And using the granite setup block to keep the upper girder surfaces exactly parallel.
So, not much to show for a 6 hour workshop session, but actually, some decisions made. And more small steps.
And a BIG discovery! Another Internet search has shown some more of this exact cannon at Warnambool, Victoria. And from the few photos on the net, those Warnambool cannons are more complete than the ones which I measured at Port Fairy!
Ah. Fuck this virus. I want to go to Warnambool.