I was drilling a hole in the end of the Trevithick burner today. The burner was securely held in the vice, but the heat annealed brass was not as strong as the torque in the 6mm drill bit.
I still have the wooden forms which I used to make the burner originally, so, roughly twisted the part back into shape. It was pretty malleable still. Then forced it into the wooden form. And beat it into shape with the copper hammer. This was looking promising.
Tapped a 1/2″ x 26tpi thread, and assembled the burner.
My reader/advisor Huib, suggested filling the tube with stainless steel scouring wool, in order to improve the flame.
I asked SWMBO, and was directed to the appropriate supplier.. the local supermarket.
It has improved the flame; there is no back lighting of the jet itself, and there is a more even flame along the length of the tube. I think that I will be able to improve the flame further, but will wait until I can test it inside the boiler itself. In the video the roaring of the flame drowns out my voice somewhat. You will not miss much. I am varying the gas control.
So, sorry about the voice track. The stainless steel stuff is interesting. It is like swarf, but not sharp. I wonder how they make it. I imagine that it works in the gas-air tube by creating swirls and eddies, and better mixing the gas and air, without impeding the flow much.
Back in the workshop tomorrow. A few connectors to make, check the feed pump, then make an appointment with The Boiler Inspector.
By the way. The parcel opening post was apparently not very interesting, so I wont bother with that format again. I am aware that my video technique was pretty ordinary, but I am not inspired to try that one again. Pity. I enjoyed making that one.