My aim (as it were) in making this model cannon is to have a high visual quality exhibition piece.
It is a 1:10 scale model, 1866 Armstrong 80lb, rifled muzzle loader, blackpowder cannon.
One question which always arises is whether it will be actually fired. My answer is that if it could be fired legally, it would be nice so I could make a video. However, Australia has very strict gun control laws, (with which I totally agree), and I do not intend to flout those laws. So this gun will not be capable of being fired. It will have no touch hole.
To satisfy the visual appearance of a touch hole there will be a laser printed dot at the location. Along with laser engraved Queen Victoria insignia, sight lines, etc.
But, it IS a rifled cannon, so I do intend to rifle the barrel. And that needs to accomplished before the trunnions are fitted, and after the cascabel is fitted, so the orientation of the rifling is as per the original.
Yesterday I started making the cascabel. It was difficult. The steel thread is lathe cut first, then the shape is lathe CNC’d. Then there is milling the insides, and making a removable pinned rope retainer. The third attempt was the most successful, but I am still not satisfied, and so there will be another one made today. This is what I have so far…
Rifling. Searching YouTube reveals multiple tools and setups from US sites. Here are a few screen shots to show you some varieties.
From the sublime ….
to the other extreme…
The amateur designed and built machines are interesting….
Then there is the method of pressing a button cutter through the bore. My bore is an odd size, so if I used this method I would need to make my own cutter.
But I think that I will use none of these methods. I have a CNC mill and a CNC rotary table. Mach3 can control both of these machines simultaneously. If I mount the cutter assembly in the rotary table, and the cannon barrel to the mill quill, I should be able to cut the rifling grooves. Still working on this one.