The HME is our Model Engineering Club competition build for 2017. I finished making the components and tried to get it running, unsuccesfully.
So today I took it to the GSMEE morning meeting, and Rudi, who is a retired marine engineer, and has completed his own HME, took one look at mine and said that the timing was totally up the creek.
Rudi fiddled for a few minutes, and said, “it will work now”. A couple of other members doubted his assessment, but were not confident enough to put money on it.
Anyway, this afternoon I hooked it up to a small compressor (my air brush compressor actually), and at 10psi it started to move. At 16psi it was ticking over quite nicely. Then the big test, throwing it into reverse. And hallelujah! It reversed.
Seeing an engine working, which you have made yourself, is an immensely satisfying moment.
This one still has some finishing jobs to be completed. Like sealing the joins against steam leaks. And a bit more polishing. And maybe a name plate. And there is an annoying knock which might disappear on steam. But if not, I might need to re-make one of the bearings.
But it goes!! Yay!!