6″ Boiler. First Steaming.

Today I put water in the boiler, about half way up the sight glass, hooked up the gas, and lit the flame.  Very nervously.  What if it blows up?  What if one of the soldered bosses blows out?  What if the safety valve does not work?

Admittedly, before that I had pressurised the boiler with water, with the fittings, to 150psi, and without the fittings to 200psi, and that seemed OK except for a leak in the sight glass.  But even so, a steam test has a lot more at stake.

I had set the safety valve to 100 psi with water, but steam is a quantum leap in risk.

IMG_6768.JPG

This is what it currently looks like.

The burner works OK, but I am expecting that it can be improved.

It took 5 minutes to get to 25psi, 6″ to 50psi, 7″ to 75psi, and 9″ to 100psi.  At that point the pop safety valve released, suddenly and loudly, giving me quite a start.  For a few psi under 100psi it had been releasing small amounts of steam, but the “pop”, in the confines of my workshop, was really impressive.

And a video of the boiler at 100psi.  Sorry about the commentary.  Must brush up on my video skills.