Yesterday I made some cast aluminium parts for the model 1:10 Armstrong RML cannon. It was the first time I had done lost PLA casting, and seeing the castings emerg from the investment mixture was thrilling.
Today I had a closer look at the parts, band sawed them from the trees, and tidied them up with some belt sanding and filing.
Although they look very ordinary, I will fill these voids with JB Weld, then paint them with automotive filler primer, then the final paint coat(s). If they are still substandard I will start again with new 3D prints,
I also poured 6 wheel forks. 2 were so bad that I have melted them down into ingots for re-use. The other 4 looked resurrectable. Unfortunately I had a mishap when bandsawing the parts from the tree. The tree was flung across the workshop, and one of the forks snapped. Of course it was the best one.
So 3 of the 6 forks were put into the re-melt, and I did some tidying up on the other 3.
So, although I ended up with 6 use-able parts out of 9 made, and most of those require filling, I am still reasonably happy with this first attempt. I think that the 3D prints were the weak link in the chain, and with that assessment I will try another casting run in a few days.
Meanwhile, back home I printed a Tyrannosaurus Rex. I think that it is my best 3D print so far. It is 250mm long, and the level of detail is excellent, even the vestigial arms are intact.