johnsmachines

machines which I have made, am making, or intend to make, and some other stuff. If you find this site interesting, please leave a comment. I read every comment and respond to most.

Tag: hearing aid

A Transom on a cannon. And a lost hearing aid.

 

PANA3796

After a fruitless 3-4 hours searching for my lost hearing aid, I decided to make a bit of progress on the Armstrong cannon chassis.  At least I got the workshop floor swept clean for the first time since last winter.  The tigers should be hibernating in this cold weather.

In the above photo you can see that the rear cross member, which I have named the “transom”, is now bolted into place, with 14 M2 bolts and nuts.  Later these will be replaced with solid rivets.   I reckon that I had about a 70% success rate of inserting the tiny M2 nuts.  The other 30% are somewhere on my workshop floor… probably keeping the hearing aid company, wherever it is.

PANA3798

When those connections were made, ensuring that the upper girder surfaces were parallel, I filed the angle brackets flush with the girder surfaces.  To ensure that the file did not scratch the girders, I rested the end of the file on a sheet of paper.

The next job is to make the front joining piece of the chassis.  It is a box construction, so will be more complicated, but should make the chassis  quite rigid.

It is a bummer having only one hearing aid.  About $2000 to replace the lost one.  I would have preferred to spend that sort of money on a tool.   Or a good drone.  But SWMBO is adamant.” get that hearing aid replaced!! ” (at least that is what I think that she said.)

 

Lost hearing aid.

Sorry, no photos with this one.  As I was leaving my workshop I realised that I was missing one of my hearing aids.  It was dusk, raining, and I spent almost an hour searching for it, but no luck.  Then I forgot to bring my camera.  So no photos.  Big cleanup of the workshop in daylight tomorrow.

A half day in the workshop today.  Finished silver soldering the chassis angle brackets, then fitted them, and secured them to the girders with bolts.  In order to make sure that the brackets are correctly located for the drilling, I glued them with Super Glue initially.

The first half of the day was spent on the computer, working on Queen Victoria’s Royal cypher which is on the top surface of the cannon barrel.

emblem

The “VR is for Victoria Regina”.  “Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense” is the motto of the Order of the Garter.  It translates from the French as “Shamed be (the person) who thinks evil of it”.

It appears to have been machined into the barrel.  On my model it will be about 12.5 x 20mm.  My friend Stuart has a fibre laser which was used to permanently mark guidelines into 2 steel grinder rests (featured in earlier posts), and I am hoping that it will work similarly to put the cypher onto my model Armstrong cannon barrel.  Another option would be to V carve the emblem, using V Carve Pro.  Whichever method is used, I needed a bitmap file of the emblem.  I found several with a Google Images search, but they were very low resolution.  I should have made a rubbing of the cypher when I was at the originals at Port Fairy.

Screen Shot 2020-01-24 at 8.56.44 am

236×277 but I have spent some time with a drawing program (Corel Draw) tidying up the image, then converting it to vectors, suitable for V Carving.  The laser can interpret a bitmap file.

The curve of the barrel must be negotiated during the lasering or V carving.  Still considering options for that.

So, when the Covid restrictions are lifted, that will be one of the first visits.  To Stuart and his laser.   A practice run on some scrap pipe first.