A Transom on a cannon. And a lost hearing aid.

 

PANA3796

After a fruitless 3-4 hours searching for my lost hearing aid, I decided to make a bit of progress on the Armstrong cannon chassis.  At least I got the workshop floor swept clean for the first time since last winter.  The tigers should be hibernating in this cold weather.

In the above photo you can see that the rear cross member, which I have named the “transom”, is now bolted into place, with 14 M2 bolts and nuts.  Later these will be replaced with solid rivets.   I reckon that I had about a 70% success rate of inserting the tiny M2 nuts.  The other 30% are somewhere on my workshop floor… probably keeping the hearing aid company, wherever it is.

PANA3798

When those connections were made, ensuring that the upper girder surfaces were parallel, I filed the angle brackets flush with the girder surfaces.  To ensure that the file did not scratch the girders, I rested the end of the file on a sheet of paper.

The next job is to make the front joining piece of the chassis.  It is a box construction, so will be more complicated, but should make the chassis  quite rigid.

It is a bummer having only one hearing aid.  About $2000 to replace the lost one.  I would have preferred to spend that sort of money on a tool.   Or a good drone.  But SWMBO is adamant.” get that hearing aid replaced!! ” (at least that is what I think that she said.)