Reader Huib suggested that I would need to modify the gas burner for my model steam engine even before I had tried it.
He was absolutely correct. The burner was difficult to light and keep going, unless I blocked off at least half of it. (see previous post).
So, today, I modified the burner along the lines suggested by Huib.
And this was the result. The burner li up easily when gas was admitted.
I measured the temperature of the burner, and it was 790ºc. I think that it will do nicely. After that, I sealed the fire clay burner into the brass container with a high temperature boiler sealant.
Yesterday I received in the mail a tiny pressure gauge. 3/4″ diameter, 0-80psi. from EJ Winter, Sydney. Order was placed Wed, arrived Thurs. Great service. Thanks Ben deGabriel.
Trevithick would not have had a pressure gauge in 1803, but modern boiler regs insist on one, so I have bowed to the inevitable, and will install this gauge on top of the boiler. Photos to follow. I expect to be running the engine on steam next time I am in the workshop. WooHoo! Not tomorrow though. Baby sitting.