The (non) gripping power of rubber

In order to increase the head pressure of molten aluminium during my casting pours, I increased the height of the casting cylinder to 250mm (previously 100 to 150mm).

That meant that the weight of the casting investment mix increased to 5.25kg. per 250mm cylinder.

This was the result today, when I poured the investment mix, then moved the cylinder with the rubber cap at the bottom.  It would have been OK if I had waited for the mixture to set. (about 20″).

PANA4000

The rubber end cap slipped off, the investment mixture came out, the 3D printed parts tree fell apart, and an horrendous mess resulted.

After a barrage of unprintable expressions, I hosed the 3D prints down (outside), and washed the cylinder and end cap (outside).

By then the mess on the bench and floor had set, so I was able to scoop most of it up with a BBQ spatula.  Then multiple wipe downs to get the very fine powder off the surfaces.

I still wanted to prepare the moulding cylinder(s), and for some reason I had lost my desire to use the 250mm cylinder, so I made 2 trees with the parts, and split them into two 150mm cylinders.   Without further incident.

While waiting for the investment mixture to set, I did some further work on the previously cast parts.

PANA4001

Applying some JB Weld  onto one of the cast rear wheel bracket and column assemblies.