As I reported on Sep 3, I was recovering from a decent dose of influenza, and feeling a need to do something after almost 2 weeks of inactivity, and I decided to put some more paint on the Trevithick dredger engine. After all, what could go wrong? Just a bit of gentle painting.
I was quite proud of the job. No paint spills. No brush marks on neighbouring items. No brush hairs in the work, and minimal brush marks.
I wondered how long I would need to wait between coats, so I checked the paint tin.
O shit! I had used the wrong paint….
I had used the epoxy enamel instead of the high temperature resistant Pot Belly Black! The brain had apparently not recovered fully from the ‘flu.
I decided to sleep on the problem. Checked with my resident paint expert (SWMBO), and on her suggestion, next day applied some mineral turpentine. The paint was dry, but the turps did seem to soften it. So I applied some more turps, then attacked the epoxy paint with a rag.
To my delight, it mostly came off. I was not too bothered by the paint in the deep cracks…. that could be a filler.
Then I carefully dried everything, another rub with clean rags, and applied another coat. This time using the correct paint. 2 coats.
Reader Huib asked how it had all eventuated, so today I took some pics of the engine in its current home… our kitchen. The budgerigars are SWMBO’s decorative touch.
Hey readers (male and female), waiting for more workshop photos to post. It doesn’t have to be the whole workshop…. just a photo of your favourite machine would be great!