johnsmachines

machines which I have made, am making, or intend to make, and some other stuff. If you find this site interesting, please leave a comment.

Tag: Dardanellles Gun

Model Ottoman Bombard – Painting

I would have preferred that the title of this blog was “Finishing the Ottoman Bombard”, but I am still waiting for the vectors of the barrel mouth decorations and Arabic (?) writing, and the touch hole.

But I have at least painted the bombard, and the pictures follow.  You will notice that I have not attempted to reproduce the bronze or copper colours of the orginal in Fort Nelson.  Partly because I doubted my ability to make painting such variegated patterns realistic, and partly because the cannon would not have looked like that in its heyday of 1464.  It would probably have been either black, like most SBML cannons (smooth bore muzzle loading), or possibly gaudy golds and reds and blues like other medieval items.  So I painted it black.  I like it.  If I get evidence that it should be more colourful I can change it later.

IMG_4429.JPG

First coat – Primer.  Hmmm… interesting colour.

IMG_4434.JPG

Next coat – matt black brushed on, to fill the hairline wood cracks.  Incidentally, the (dirty) parquetry floor is also made from the red gum house stumps from which the cannon is made.

IMG_4447.JPG

final two coats –  matt black, from a spray can. 

IMG_4458.JPG

So there it is, finished except for the barrel mouth engraving, and the touch hole.  Now what to do with it…   SWMBO says it might be useful as an umbrella stand.

IMG_4460.JPG

The breech.  25mm diameter explosion chamber.  1:10 scale

IMG_4461.JPG

The barrel, 63mm bore.

IMG_4462.JPG

Assembled.  The model is 520mm long.

IMG_4464.JPG

It does need some decoration

turkish-bombard-plan

Modelling A Turkish Bombard- The Pins

b281d1ba4455df20d7b832411bb00443

There are 16 pins at each end of each section of the cannon.

These were certainly used as leverage points, for very strong men with large levers to rotate the 8-9  tonne segments against each other to engage and tighten the screw.

I cannot see how the pins would have been cast with the breech and barrel.  For my model I decided to make separate pins and fit them into the gap between the big rings, then insert a grub screw through both rings and the pin.  The holes are then filled.

I wonder if a similar method was used in 1464.  I would love to have a close look at the original cannon to figure this out.  From the photographs, I can see no evidence of later insertion of pins, but neither can I see how it would have been done any other way.

IMG_4373.JPG

Drilling the holes for the grub screws

IMG_4395.JPG

In order to continue with red gum, I made my own pins.  This is the setup.  The blank is held approximately centre in a 4 jaw….

IMG_4396.JPG

…and the pins are turned, centre drilled, drilled, cut to length,  and tapped M4.  64 altogether.

IMG_4421.JPG

The M4 x 25mm grubscrew is screwed into the pin.  The wood join is super glued.  Also, I am attempting to patch the worst of the thread tearouts.

IMG_4423.JPG

Using a battery screwdriver to insert the grub screws.  The pins protrude above the ring surface for a reason..

 

IMG_4424.JPG

Sanding the pins flush with the rings.  Check the photo of the original 1464 model.  There is also some wood filler in other splits.  Not surprising after holding up a house for 70 years.

The holes are now filled with wood filler, and will be sanded flush.  They should be invisible after painting.

Next the painting, the stands, and some cannon balls.  How to reproduce that aged copper colour…

 

%d bloggers like this: