Making the new valve rods, as predicted, took me an entire day. They required a high degree of precision, and being in stainless steel, not an easy material to machine, and quite thin and delicate, multiple stages in the machining.
But before I started on the valve rods I made myself a new spanner for the collet chuck on the CNC lathe. I had been using an adjusting spanner, which was continually going out of adjustment and causing angst. The tool merchants did not have anything suitable (46mm opening, and thin profile), so I made my own.
The 46mm spanner being cut from 6mm steel plate.
It is a bit prettier after this photo and being painted. The rounded jaws facilitate easy application to the collet chuck.
Tightening the ER40 collet chuck with the new spanner. It works very well.
So then I got on with the new valve rods. Some end of day photos follow.
The valve rod is the silver coloured rod. Actually stainless steel. This photo shows the high pressure cylinder valve and valve chest. There are 2 other valves, one for each cylinder. All different sizes.
The high pressure valve chest and valve, the valve rod and guide. On the right is the Stevenson’s link, yokes and eccentrics which control forward and reverse. This setup is repeated for each of the 3 cylinders. This is hooked upto the worm and gear which was shown a blog or two ago. There are 22 components for each, not counting fasteners.
The low pressure setup.
And thank you to those readers who responded to my whinge about likes and comments. I will continue this blog until the triple expansion steam engine is finished, and hopefully running. Not sure after that.