The Trevithick dredger engine model is almost finished. Currently applying some paint. And getting it ready for the final boiler inspection. I am guessing about 2 weeks.
I have chosen a spot in the house where it will sit, and will post a photo in due course.
A few people have been asking if I have decided what to make next. In terms of a major build, the answer is no, I have not decided. I have considered a few possibilities. Those possibilities include a model of Stephenson’s “Rocket”, Trevithick’s “Catch Me Who Can” or “Pen-y-darren engine”, a Shand-Mason fire engine, or even another cannon.
What I will do, is to complete several unfinished projects, and if a major project becomes obvious, imperative, then anything is possible.
The unfinished projects include…
- An Arduino controlled rotary table. The mechanicals are made. Just need to dive into the electronics.
- The Southworth steam powered boiler feed pump for the vertical boiler.
- The CNC controlled tool post milling attachment for the Boxford CNC lathe.
- Paint the Bolton beam engine. Lag the cylinder. Install a cylinder oiler.
- Finish the triple expansion model marine engine. The lagging, the piston rings, the gaskets, the oiler and oil pipework, and painting.
Looking at that list, I really do not need to start another major project.
And sometimes it is nice to sit back, and enjoy the glow and satisfaction of previous projects. It does sound rather self satisfied, no? So here is a selection of videos, mostly first runs of newly completed projects. Most are YouTube links, but one or two will run directly.
This was the first model steam engine which I made about 5-6 years ago. It is a Bolton 7 single cylinder mill engine, and this was the first occasion I had run it on steam. It was a very exciting moment, seeing it actually running on steam.
Next came the Bolton 12 Beam Engine. Still a crowd favourite. The beard was ordered off by SWMBO not long after this.
Then a couple of Stirling engines. How they work is still a mystery to me.
Then the problematic, difficult triple expansion engine, which took 3 years and several extended breaks to get to the working stage. Still not finished completely. Stuart Tankard’s boiler. Since then I made a vertical boiler.
And somewhere in there I made this little reversing engine for the club competition. Alas, it failed in action.
And 3 cannons came out of left field. They started as a CNC project, but then took on a consuming interest of their own. About this time I saw the necessity of learning how to put together a video. Still learning.
And finally the Trevithick dredger engine. The historical aspects of this engine, the genius of Trevithick, the fact that the engine works…. has been marvellous. The engine is looking quite different with some paint applied. And the propane burner is significantly better than appears in this video.
So, if you are still with me after all of those videos, congratulations on your stamina. It is therapeutic to take stock sometimes, and to wonder about where making all of these engines is going. It was not to any plan. Still no plan. Just enjoying the moments, the days.