Edwards Pump for the Triple Expansion Steam Engine
The triple expansion steam engine has been progressing, again. I started this project over 2 years ago, but I have taken many breaks, some prolongued. One break lasted over 6 months while I made some cannons.
I cannot remember when I made the Edwards pump for the triple, but it must be over a year ago. In the past few days I have returned to it, finalising the mounting to the engine, and joining the driving levers to the pump and the engine.
The Edwards pump creates the vacuum in the condenser chest. It is an air pump.
Attached to the Edwards pump are 2 water pumps, which return condensed steam as water, to the boiler. At least that is what I understand from the descriptions. It feels a bit odd, making these components before understanding what they really do.
So I am at the stage where I would like this project to be finished, so I can get on with other projects. It feels like it is close because there are very few castings remaining in the box. But I know that the entire engine has to be disassembled, and painstakingly reassembled, freeing up some of the tight parts so it will turn over more easily. Then the steam pipe hookups and valve timing. Then hopefully, a video of it running!