Trevithick Dredger Engine ….Con Rods

by John

I had previously bent the brass U pieces which hold the split bronze bearings to the wooden connecting rods.  I had also made the con rods and the bearings.  Today’s job was to fit them all together.

IMG_7180

Bending the U pieces on my shop made bender.

IMG_7182

And the Jarrah con rods.  The U pieces need to be shortened.

IMG_7250.JPG

With the bearing in place, measuring the amount of shortening required (approximately).

IMG_7251.JPG

Using an end mill to shorten the U piece arms.  Note the paper between the workpiece and the vice jaws.  That reduces the chance of the work moving.  How do I know?  Dont ask.

IMG_7254.JPG

The holes are carefully drilled M4 through the U piece and the wood.  Stainless steel square nuts on SS threaded rod.   Then the bearing was reamed again to the finish dimension.  I have yet to make the wedges which hold the pieces in position.

IMG_7257.JPG

The (almost) finished connecting rods.

IMG_7258.JPG

And a test installation on the engine.  A bit of workshop clutter to add to the atmosphere.

IMG_7259.JPG

And I had a bit of daylight on this beautiful summer day, so I made and installed the firedoor latch.

I am hopeful that I will have this engine running before I say goodbye as my subscription to WordPress finishes.  Not exactly sure when that will happen, so if I suddenly disappear, do a search on YouTube for the video of it running on steam.    Still a fair bit to do before that happens, but things are progressing!